Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dome Temperature Versus Grill Grate Temperature

Dome Temp vs. Grate Temp
Hello all,
I have a quick question (or two)...when folks state to dial in a temp of xxx degrees, are they talking about the temperature at the top of the dome where the thermometer is or are they talking about the temperature at the grate level?

I would imagine they'd be in the neighborhood of 30 degrees different. Can someone help me out here?

PresidentsDad (aka Marc) Large Blue Infinity - Since November '09

"I would never go to a BBQ restaurant that had a squeaky clean smoker"

Comments

• AshmanAshman Posts: 882
    edited December 1969
    Where the thermometer is above the GD logo.
    Ash
    Always there before the food arrives. Search grilldomeash on youtube!
  • The BBQ QBThe BBQ QB Posts: 1,482
    edited November 2009
    Without the author specifying, it is hard to tell.

There is a roughly 30 degree difference between the two at lower temps, with the grill temp being cooler than the dome temp. (This is not a linear relationship as it is a function of the airflow and thermal mass characteristics of the cook.

Unspecified I generally assume the Dome temp (The thermo Ashman is referring to in the lid).

However there are some clues, if the author is using a Maverick or or other thermo with a pit probe it is often the grate temp. Unless you're Bonepile, who has modified his dome so that the pit probe reads at the dome probe location.

It's best to ask if unknown.

The recipes in the recipes section include a detail about where to measure the temp. It is in the GD setup section beside the temp entitled "At:" where the choices are usually Dome or Grill/Main Grate etc.

I try to clarify this when formatting the recipe, but am not always successful. PM me if there you find an oversight and I'll correct it.

Mike D
    Hickory is a way of Life: Grill Dome my Sensei
  • PresidentsDadPresidentsDad Posts: 1,359
    edited December 1969
    Thanks Mike. Very helpful.

PresidentsDad (aka Marc) Large Blue Infinity - Since November '09

"I would never go to a BBQ restaurant that had a squeaky clean smoker"